The Children's Healthcare Network (CHN) Paediatric Clinical Nurse Consultants cover every hospital in NSW where infants, children and adolescents are cared for outside the specialist children's hospitals.
Using the expertise of clinicians throughout NSW, the CHN Paediatric Clinical Nurse Consultants support provision of the highest quality paediatric healthcare services in the most appropriate location.
The role of the CHN Paediatric Clinical Nurse Consultants includes:
- advocacy for child health/paediatric services
- education for clinical staff caring for children
- clinical consultancy at the bedside and remotely
- partnerships and collaboration within paediatrics
- development of state-wide guidelines on paediatric care
- development of state-wide educational resources
- promotion of evidence-based best practice across paediatrics
- provision of a dedicated resource for paediatric services.
In addition there are many specialist paediatric clinical nurse consultants who work at specialist children's hospitals, covering specialist services such as respiratory, NETS, diabetes, cardiac, renal, adolescent health and rheumatology.