The Mental Health and Drug & Alcohol Office (MHDAO) has lead agency responsibility for coordinating Whole-of-Government policy development and implementation in the areas of mental health and drug and alcohol, particularly through actions arising from the State Plan S3 and F3 priorities, Drug and Alcohol Summits, Interagency Action Plan on Better Mental Health and New Directions in Mental Health Policy.
The work of MHDAO is driven by the key strategic directions for NSW Health. These include:
- Make prevention everybody's business
- Create better experiences for people using health services
- Strengthen primary health and continuing care in the community
- Build regional and other partnerships for health
- Make smart choices about the costs and benefits of health services
- Build a sustainable health workforce
- Be ready for new risks and opportunities
NSW State Plan
The NSW State Plan outlines the NSW Government's key objectives and priorities for the future. MHDAO is responsible for leading the implementation of mental health and drug and alcohol priorities which include:
- F3. Improved outcomes for mental health
- S3. Reducing drug and alcohol use
NSW State Health Plan
The NSW State Health Plan reflects the health priorities in the NSW Government's State Plan with strategies based on evidence of what works and challenging targets set for the future. The State Health Plan identifies mental health and drug and alcohol as priority areas.