Thinking of a career in nursing? Now the HSC is over, school leavers are encouraged to consider a rewarding career in nursing, with government scholarships set to become available in the new year.
The NSW Government will offer up to 300 scholarships for the 2017 Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled Nurse) program. Successful entry is not based on the Australian Tertiary Admissions Ranking (ATAR). So if you just received your HSC results, you may be eligible.
Program placements will be available in locations across NSW for the right candidates who are motivated and looking for a diverse and dynamic career. On successful course completion and registration, scholarship recipients will be offered a job as an Enrolled Nurse in a NSW Health facility (subject to standard recruitment processes).
“Nursing is one of the most respected and personally rewarding careers in the health sector, and Enrolled Nurses are a valued part of the nursing team,” said Jacqui Cross, NSW Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer.
“ENs are in demand across the system, providing compassionate, evidenced-based, and patient-centred nursing care in a wide range of clinical settings including acute medical and surgical units, operating theatres, paediatrics, maternity, mental health, and community settings.
“If you care about people and health, are passionate, motivated, and looking for a fulfilling and dynamic career, this could be the ideal opportunity for you.”
How it works:
- applications are invited from HSC school leavers, mature age applicants, and those who have already completed a Certificate III or equivalent qualification. Aboriginal people are strongly encouraged to apply.
- selection for the scholarship involves an online application, a basic literacy and numeracy test, and an interview.
- successful scholarship applicants will commence their Diploma from April 2017. The program runs for between 12 and 18 months.
- information on enrolled nurses and details on the scholarship application process are on the Nursing and Midwifery pages of the NSW Health Website at www.health.nsw.gov.au/enrollednurse
- you can also check your eligibility to apply here: www.surveymonkey.com/r/EnrolledNurse2017
- all successful applicants will be required to meet NSW Health immunisation requirements for work placement and subsequent offers of employment.
All applicants will be required to:
- undergo a National Police History Check
- provide two written references
- meet English language skill requirements
- provide evidence of HSC completion (or equivalent) or a Certificate III qualification (or equivalent)
Scholarship applications open on January 9 and close on February 10, 2017.