The NSW Health and Medical Research Sponsorship Program offers sponsorship support for health and medical research conferences, forums, workshops, award dinners, and funding for elite speakers from overseas, for events to be held in NSW.
Through this program, the Office for Health and Medical Research aims to grow and promote the research environment in NSW, build research capacity, and encourage collaboration in the health and medical research sector. The program is designed to support medical research institutes, peak and professional bodies, not-for-profits and non-government organisations who may not have access to other sources of sponsorship funding.
The program offers sponsorship grants of up to $20,000 for eligible NSW based events. Funding is available on a competitive basis. The total program funding pool is $100,000.
This round of funding is offered for events proposed in either 2017-18 or 2018-19 financial years to allow organisations sufficient time to plan, particularly for scheduling international speakers.
Information for applicants
- The conference or event must be held in NSW and seek to:
- promote the research environment in NSW
- build research capacity or
- encourage collaboration in the health and medical research sector.
- The applicant/host organisation must have an office in NSW and be a:
- not-for-profit organisation
- non-government organisation
- professional / peak body or
- independent Medical Research Institute funded by OHMR through the Medical Research Support Program.
- Universities and NSW Health entities are not eligible to apply for sponsorship funding as a host organisation, but they may be listed as collaborators.
- The applicant/host organisation must demonstrate collaboration with other named health and medical research sector organisations.
- Eligible activities for sponsorship include:
- international travel for keynote speakers
- domestic travel for interstate keynote speakers
- filming of event, booklet/publication and web content/modules
- cost of venue hire is eligible as long as the venue is not located within the host organisation’s buildings.
*Note: Administrative support positions will not be funded through this program.
- Events with external sponsorship from private or non-government entities are eligible to apply.
- Events with existing NSW Government financial support including any NSW Health entity are not eligible to apply (see terms for more information).
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered and individual feedback will not be given. Only one application can be made per organisation, per funding round.
Applications will be assessed against the eligibility and selection criteria by a Review Panel composed of Office for Health and Medical Research team leaders.
Essential selection criteria
- Demonstrate that the primary purpose of the conference and/or event is to promote and support the health and medical research environment in NSW.
- Demonstrate that the conference and/or event aligns with State priorities in health and medical research.
*Note: Events that most align with and support Office for Health and Medical Research priorities will be given precedence.
- Demonstrate the need for the conference, its relevance and impact on building research capacity and capability in NSW.
- Demonstrate that the information resulting from the conference will be widely disseminated.
- Demonstrate the benefits to the NSW community and the NSW economy.
- Demonstrate the state, national and international reach of the conference or event in terms of number and spread of delegates in NSW, Australia and internationally, and reach and influence that the conference may have.
*Note that the reach must be larger than one research institute or organisation.
- Demonstrate the necessity for funding through a total budget breakdown including other sources of sponsorship and how program funding will be leveraged.
*Note: This is an essential criteria and a draft budget must be provided with the detail outlined below:
- all other committed external funding must be listed.
- budget must be realistic and comparable to similar events.
- income from expected registrations and sponsorship must be included.
- Details of collaborations with other organisations on the event.
*Note: Applications that include collaboration between organisations and groups will be prioritised.
- A list of confirmed keynote speakers must be provided and a draft copy of the agenda or program attached.
NSW Health sponsorship must be acknowledged in all publicity and in the program for the meeting and any proceedings or publications resulting from the meeting.
Events with existing NSW Government financial support including any NSW Health entity are not eligible to apply. Applicants/host organisations that receive financial support for the event from a NSW Government entity after the application closing date for the NSW Health and Medical Sponsorship Program must relinquish this funding or repay any funding received through the NSW Health and Medical Research Sponsorship Program.
Copies of proceedings or publications resulting from the meeting must be provided to NSW Health.
Key dates and how to submit
Applications open: 11 December 2017
Applications close: 12 January 2018
Email completed application forms to email@example.com.
NSW Health and Medical Research Sponsorship Program Application Form
Office for Health and Medical Research
Phone: (02) 9391 9733