• If you are in immediate danger – call the Police on 000.
  • If you want to talk to a counsellor – call your nearest NSW Health Sexual Assault Service.
  • If you are sexually assaulted it is not your fault.
  • Sexual assault is a serious crime.
  • It's still sexual assault if it's someone you know.​

What is Sex​ual Assault?

Sexual assault occurs when someone is forced, coerced or tricked into sexual acts or exposed to sexual situations against their will.

Sexual assault can also occur when a person is unable to consent, such as if they are intoxicated or asleep.

Sexual assault or sexual violence can include rape, incest, indecent assault, sexual assault and sexual molesting.

Children or people who can't give informed consent can be sexually assaulted when someone uses their age, size, authority or position of trust to involve them in sexual acts.

Sexual assault can happen to anyone. Sexual assaults are often carried out by a person known to the victim. The majority of sexual assaults are perpetrated by men.

Support Ser​vices

NSW Health Sexual Assault Services provide free information, counselling, court support, medical treatment and forensic examinations for anyone who has been sexually assaulted. They can provide testing and prevention for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. These services are based in certain hospitals and community health services across NSW. There is a sexual assault service in your area open 24 hours a day.

Anybody who reports being sexually assaulted to the Police or the Department of Family and Community Services should be taken or referred to their nearest NSW Health Sexual Assault Service.

You do not need to have reported the sexual assault to the Police to receive help from a NSW Health Sexual Assault Service, if you are over 16 years of age.

Contact your local Sexual Assault Service.

Reporting a Se​xual Assault

If you wish to report an assault to the Police, contact your nearest Police station. Police are well trained to provide assistance to people who have been sexually assaulted.

NSW Health Sexual Assault Services can also help facilitate this process.

If you wish to report an assault and the assault has just happened, it is better not to change your clothes or wash beforehand.

If you, or a person you know, are under 16 years of age and have been sexually assaulted, reports can be made to the Child Protection Helpline ph. 132 111 as well as to local police stations.​​​​

Page Updated: Tuesday 26 June 2012