Training program

Is this Traineeship only available to Aboriginal people?

Only people who identify as Aboriginal Australians are eligible for the traineeship. In the application process, applicants may be invited to demonstrate their connection to their Aboriginal community and their vocational commitment to Aboriginal population health.

What are the entry requirements?

The entry level requirements are the completion of a Bachelor degree in health or a related field that is acceptable for enrolment in a Master of Public Health at the university of choice.

How long does it take to complete the traineeship?

It takes 3 years full time to complete the workplace-based traineeship and the part-time Master of Public Health degree. The Master’s degree is expected to take approximately 1 day per week of the designated full-time employment; however, the contact hours will vary depending on the mode of delivery for different subjects (online, face-to-face, or block subjects).

Can I do the traineeship on a part-time basis?

No, the traineeship is only available on a full-time basis.

How do I apply to join the traineeship?

You can register your interest on this website under Contact Details, in which case you will be contacted when positions are advertised. Alternatively, positions are advertised by Local Health Districts through mainstream and local media. Once positions are advertised, in order to apply you need to obtain an information kit.
When preparing your application, you need to provide:
  1. your curriculum vitae
  2. your statement of academic results
  3. a document in which you address each of the key selection criteria.
The Panel reviewing applications will conduct interviews for the position(s).

Is there an entry test?

There is no entry test; however, you will be required to provide a statement of your academic results and demonstrate your skills and knowledge relevant to the position when you write the document addressing each of the key selection criteria. The interview is also a chance to talk about your skills and knowledge and vocational commitment to Aboriginal population health.

Is there financial assistance available for travel and study?

The NSW Ministry of Health will provide financial assistance for both travel and study for your Master of Public Health. This assistance is outlined in the orientation program for trainees on entry to the Initiative.

Is there other health related training open to Aboriginal people?

There are a number of other training programs described below:



How many traineeships are available?

There are currently traineeships across New South Wales.  Depending on available funding further traineeships will be created.

When does recruitment take place?

Recruitment occurs at different times, depending on the Local Health Districts supporting the positions, but usually in time to allow enrolment in a Master of Public Health at your preferred university.

Where are the traineeships located?

The traineeships are currently available in a selected number of Local Health Districts, requiring that the trainee is located in these areas of NSW. It is possible that the numbers of sites will increase, depending on the funding available to expand training sites. Trainees may have the capacity to rotate through various locations within any one Local Health District to gain experience in different workplace settings and develop professional networks.

Would I get study leave?

You will be eligible for 1 day of study leave per week during term time.

What are the chances that I will get a job at the end of the training Initiative?

Traineeships are temporary; however, the Aboriginal Population Health Training Initiative is intended to provide an avenue for Aboriginal people to specialise in population health and gain employment as a population health professional in the health system. Employment depends on a range of factors such as funding and availability of positions, their suitability and a graduate's ability and interest in the positions.

Master of Public Health

Do I need to pay for my MPH?

The Master of Public Health (MPH)  is paid for by the NSW Ministry of Health. This includes all coursework fees, resources to support studying and travel/technology to aid access to the course material.

Can I study my MPH at any University in NSW?

You are able to study your Master of Public Health at any university in NSW. To support your decision, there is a booklet released by the Ministry Where to Study my Master of Public Health? It is important that you choose a Master’s degree which suits your needs and your style of learning. You make this decision, with the support from your family, community, workplace supervisor and the APHTI Program Coordinator at the Ministry of Health.

What if I am not close to the university where I want to do the MPH?

Many Master of Public Health degrees allow you to study by completing subjects in block units (week-long intensive sessions) and also by correspondence. You can appraise these options in the booklet Where to Study my Master’s of Public Health?

What happens if I am unsuccessful at the MPH?

It is a requirement of being a trainee, that you maintain an academic enrolment in the Master’s degree. If you do not meet required standards to pass subjects in the degree, it is likely you will have to re-attempt these subjects. In this case, the academic program coordinators at the university, along with your workplace supervisors and the APHTI Program Coordinator at the Ministry of Health would meet with you to consider the things that are preventing your progress and ways these problems can be addressed, for example, by providing more learning support, rearranging the academic timetable or changing universities.
These situations will be managed on a case-by-case basis with support and collaboration from the partners involved in your training.
Page Updated: Thursday 14 February 2013