On this page
- Aim of the clinical community of practice
- Clinical leads
- This community of practice scope is not
- Frequency of the community of practice
- Guidelines and resources
Aim of the clinical community of practice
The Centre for Oral Health Strategy will provide an opportunity for sharing of ideas, strategies, local solutions and concerns with respect to COVID-19 pandemic preparedness.
The community of practice will be multidisciplinary and include representation from all districts and networks. It will enable clinicians and clinical managers in oral health from all districts to provide expert advice and guidance to the system, and
to escalate matters that require a statewide or system response.
The aim of these sessions is to:
- support clinicians to network and share strategies, local solutions and issues with respect to pandemic preparedness for oral health
- identify, prioritise and escalate issues related to COVID-19 which are actually or potentially affecting clinicians providing oral health care that require a statewide or system response
- review and provide expert clinical advice on guidelines, resources and other information
- share Ministry approved advice and resources on the response to COVID-19 that can be circulated within all districts and networks.
Executive sponsor: Dr Nigel Lyons, Deputy Secretary, Health System Strategy and Planning
Clinical lead: Dr Lanny Chor, Chief Dentist
Community of practice secretariat: Kara Clarke
- State Oral Health Executive
- Public Oral Health Staff
- Professional associations
The Centre for Oral Health Strategy will escalate issues raised by the community of practice to Strategic Reform and Planning. Key information will be collected and distributed through MOH-COVID19-ClinicalAdvice@health.nsw.gov.au, which will be monitored by Strategic Reform and Planning.
Collated issues/advice will be escalated by Dr Lyons through to the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC) and/or the State Health Emergency Operations Centre (SHEOC) as appropriate.
PHEOC and SHEOC responses will be provided to Strategic Reform and Planning and then to the community of practice secretariat.
Weekly community of practice updates will be provided to NSW Health Chief Executives.
Each community of practice will have a clinical lead appointed by Dr Nigel Lyons, Deputy Secretary, Health System Strategy and Resources.
The clinical lead will:
- assist with the facilitation of the community of practice
- work with clinical peers in the districts and networks to share ideas and develop appropriate response strategies
- provide expert advice and guidance to the system and Ministry as required
- escalate relevant matters to the Ministry that require a statewide or system response
- provide expert advice to respond to media enquiries.
This community of practice scope is not
A group which is able to endorse statewide changes or make decisions that impacts a unit or system or allocate funding to recommendations.
This community of practice is open to all State Oral Health Executive members or delegates. As a minimum it will include representation from all districts and networks. However, membership may be extended more broadly to include all interested NSW Health staff as well as
professional colleges, private providers/clinicians and other non-government organisations as appropriate to the clinical speciality.
To join the community of practice participants should email MOH-OralHealthStrategy@health.nsw.gov.au
Frequency of the community of practice
Fortnightly basis on a Tuesday at 2:30pm. Meetings commenced 7 April 2020 using Skype for business. Skype for business details will be attached to the calendar invite.
Guidelines and resources