Settings like gyms and indoor fitness centres are not required to close at this time providing they adhere to the following recommendations for social distancing and hand hygiene, and take actions to ensure regular high standards of environmental cleaning take place.
The COVID-19 virus can be spread by the coughs and sneezes of infected people directly to people close by indirectly through contact with contaminated hands, surfaces or objects.
Gyms/Centres are recommended to:
- provide adequate quantities of hand sanitiser in prominent places and refill regularly (or provide adequate handwashing facilities and soap)
- increase the frequency of cleaning and disinfection of the gym/centre and all gym equipment, using standard household-grade cleaning products and disinfectants
- limit indoor exercise classes to less than 100 people and ensure that a distance of at least 1.5m is maintained between attendees
- remind staff and clients about what they can do to protect themselves and others:
- don’t attend if you are unwell
- don’t attend if you have been asked by health authorities to self-isolate at home
- clean your hands with hand sanitiser or with soap and water before and after you use each piece of equipment
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- avoid touching other people (no shaking hands or high-fives)
- try to keep a distance of 1.5 metres from other people as much as possible
- try to go to the gym when it’s less crowded.
NSW Health recommends that gyms display a sign showing how many times the gym is cleaned each day and when it was last cleaned.