Thank you for your cooperation in complying with quarantine measures as per Public Health (COVID-19 Air Transportation Quarantine) Order (No 2) Amendment (Transportation Providers) Order 2021 and Public Health (COVID-19 Maritime Quarantine) Order (No 2) 2021.

Your actions have helped to protect the health of your fellow Australian residents by limiting the risk of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) transmission.

Last updated: 03 August 2021

Travelling to your home

If you are returning to a home within NSW you may travel to your place of residence via whatever transport you choose.

Once you have left the hotel you will be subject to the Public Health (COVID-19 Gathering Restrictions) Order (No 2) 2021 during your travel and upon your return home. If you are travelling to your home in another state or territory you may organise your flight home.

Your home jurisdiction may require additional measures. Please check your respective state government website before you arrange travel for further guidance.

Returning home after isolation

If you are returning home and seeking support for Financial and Support Services, Service NSW can offer guidance on eligibility for:

Contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 or Service NSW - Supporting NSW during COVID-19 or via their app.

Returning home after isolation it is essential that you check perishable food for expiry dates. Items that have expired should not be eaten. More information on food handling is available at NSW Food Authority - Novel Coronavirus and Food Safety.

Getting tested after leaving quarantine

You are required to be tested for COVID-19 two days after leaving the quarantine hotel. This is an additional measure to help protect you and the community once you’ve left the hotel quarantine environment. 

If you do not have symptoms, you will not need to self-isolate while waiting for your test result. 

However, it is recommended that you do not work in or visit any high risk setting while you are waiting for your test results. These include: 

  • health care and aged care facilities 
  • residential disability care facilities 
  • remote Aboriginal communities 
  • international airports (e.g. retail and hospitality, baggage handling and passenger aircraft crew) 
  • hotel quarantine facilities and transportation 
  • homeless shelters 
  • prisons 
  • boarding schools and school camps 

 NSW Health will call or text you 7 days after leaving quarantine to ask if you have any symptoms. If you have developed any symptoms since leaving quarantine, you will be asked to get tested for COVID-19.

Monitor symptoms

You should monitor yourself for any new symptoms. Watch particularly for:

  • fever (37.5°C or higher), night sweats or chills
  • cough
  • shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • runny nose
  • sore throat
  • loss of smell
  • loss of taste.

If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, you should seek testing and medical advice as soon as possible.

You have two main options:

If you are unable to do either of the above please contact your local Public Health Unit.

Note: If you go to see a doctor make sure you wear a surgical mask while you go there, if you have one. You should travel directly to the doctor or COVID-19 clinic by private car or taxi (sitting in back seat with the window open). Do not use public transport.

If you become severely unwell and it is  a medical emergency  you  should  phone  000.  Tell the ambulance staff that you have been in hotel quarantine for COVID-19.

Mental health advice for those exiting quarantine hotels

It is understandable that during times like this, people may be feeling afraid, worried, anxious and overwhelmed by the current circumstances.

If you have required support for your mental health team whilst in quarantine, the health care team will work with you to ensure you are supported when you leave.

The following websites offer advice on how to take care of your mental health during the COVID-19 outbreak, including specific mental health advice for those required to quarantine.

If you need more support, if you are worried that you or someone you know may have or has COVID-19, or are anxious about being in isolation and would you like to speak to someone about it please call one of the services below for support or talk to your general practitioner.

  • Lifeline Australia13 11 14
    A crisis support service that provides short term support at any time for people who are having difficulty coping or staying safe.
  • BeyondBlue1800 512 348
    ​Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service.
  • Kids Helpline1800 551800
    A free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25 years.
  • NSW Mental Health Line: 1800 011 511
    Mental health crisis telephone service in NSW.

Additional information

NSW Ombudsman

NSW Ombudsman handles complaints about most NSW public agencies, like NSW Health and the Department of Communities and Justice, as well as NSW Government-funded community service providers.

To make a complaint, use the NSW Ombudsman's web form or email the NSW Ombudsman. If you are unable to put your complaint in writing, for example you have a disability, or you believe your complaint is urgent, you can call the NSW Ombudsman on 9286 1000 or 1800 451 524. You may need to leave a voicemail.

Please note that as of 18 March 2020, the NSW Ombudsman is now operating remotely. Members of the public and stakeholders should be aware that delays in response times may be experienced. Read the latest information on NSW Ombudsman office closure and accessing services​.

The NSW Ombudsman cannot handle complaints about the NSW Police Force – you can contact the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission. For Commonwealth agencies you can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

Current as at: Tuesday 3 August 2021
Contact page owner: Health Protection NSW