The Aboriginal Maternal, Child and Family Health Team supports the NSW health system to improve the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal mothers, babies, children and families. It does this through a partnership approach with key stakeholders and the Aboriginal community to improve service delivery of culturally appropriate maternity and child and family health services.
The team’s work includes
- strategic policy and program advice at a national, state and local level
- monitoring and performance review of targeted Aboriginal programs including the:
- Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Service
- Building Strong Foundations for Aboriginal Children, Families and Communities program
- Aboriginal Ear Health
- monitoring of health outcomes for NSW Aboriginal mothers, babies and children against national and state targets
- building the evidence base of Aboriginal programs
- preventive health initiatives that focus on NSW Health’s priority areas
- increasing breastfeeding rates, ceasing smoking and alcohol consumption during pregnancy and maintaining a healthy weight.