Applications open 11 February 2019 and close on the 26 April 2019.
There are a maximum of four Judith Meppem scholarships available annually for nurses and/or midwives working in the NSW public health system. These scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. Scholarships aim to provide an opportunity for nurses and midwives to undertake a study tour to observe and learn about innovative and best practice in nursing and/or midwifery. The study tour can be applied to all areas of nursing and midwifery practice including clinical, education and management. The study tour may include a number of locations but all must be visited as part of a single trip.
Scholarships are valued at up to $12,000 each with the study tour taken within 12 months of the grant.
These scholarships are not available for participation in courses or for overseas conference attendance.
Eligibility and selection criteria
- be a nurse or midwife who is a permanent employee of the NSW public health system
- be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, and residing in NSW
- have support from your line manager and the local health district/network Director of Nursing and Midwifery (DoNM)
In addition the applicant must satisfy each of the following criteria:
- Submit a draft study tour plan (see Section B of the application form)
- Provide a quote for travel costs, including airfare and an estimate of accommodation costs
- Demonstrate the proposed benefit of the study tour to both the individual and to the local health district/network (LHD/N)
- Provide information on how you will apply the learning of the study tour to the LHD/N
- Provide evidence of contract/agreement from the institution/service you plan to visit
Terms and conditions
Lodging an application for a Judith Meppem scholarship is not a guarantee that a scholarship will be awarded. Awarding of a scholarship is at the discretion of the Scholarship Assessment Committee. Decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Private or annual leave associated with study tours is not encouraged, however should this be a consideration, applicants must comply with NSW Ministry of Health Policy Directive PD2015_019
On return from the study tour scholarship recipients are required to submit a report to the Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer within 30 days. Copies of the following documents must be included with the report:
- air travel ticket/e-ticket
- an account of how you spent the scholarship funds
Please keep all receipts for personal taxation purposes.
Scholarships are not transferable either in whole or part to any other person or for any other purpose.
Recipients of this scholarship may be required to present findings at an appropriate forum. This may be a presentation on International Nurses’ or International Midwives’ day at either a State or LHD/N level.
Recipients of this scholarship are expected to publish outcomes in a relevant journal/newsletter. If information is published, acknowledgment must indicate that the study tour was achieved with the assistance of a Judith Meppem scholarship and the NSW Ministry of Health.
Applications must be submitted in the first instance to your line manager, then to the DoNM, who will forward the application to the Nursing and Midwifery Office (NaMO). Please ensure that sufficient time is allowed to meet the closing date.
Use of funds
Scholarship funds may be used for the following purposes:
- fares, accommodation and official daily allowance subsistence items such as meals, personal laundry, telephone calls, etc.
- visits to hospitals, centres, providers of health services of excellence in public and/or private health care sectors
Completed applications must be received in NaMO by close of business on 26 April 2019. Please note that late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.