NSW patients receiving palliative care, their carers and families, have access to a new service for additional advice and support during the after hours period. The Palliative Care After Hours Helpline commenced on 1 March 2016.
The new helpline provides professional information, support and advice for palliative care patients, their carers and their families as well as health professionals where similar services do not exist. Intended to give people more choice about the care they receive at home, the helpline provides tailored advice and support at night, on weekends and public holidays:
- weekdays: 5pm-9am (AEST)
- weekends: 5pm Friday – 9am Monday
- public holidays (National and NSW): from 5pm the day before to 9am the following business day.
The helpline provides advice and support when:
- your usual doctor, nurse or palliative care service is not available
- you are experiencing pain, a change in symptoms or any other concerning symptom
- you have a question about symptoms or your medication
- you have a problem with your equipment
- you need support to manage concerns, worries or fears
- you need information about other services available in your area.
When you call the helpline, a registered nurse with training in palliative care will provide advice and support. The call will be transferred to a specialist palliative care nurse if the issue is more complex.
The Palliative Care After Hours Helpline can be accessed by calling
1800 548 225.
Some palliative care providers have an after hours service for their patients. Patients, carers or family members should check with their palliative care services or GP for the availability of a locally provided service before calling the Palliative Care After Hours Helpline.
Health professionals can order and download resources from
National Relay Service
If you are deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired, contact the helpline through the
National Relay Service.
If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask the interpreter to contact 1800 548 225.
Palliative Care After Hours Helpline information in Auslan