The Electronic Patient Journey Board (EPJB) is another module within the Patient Flow Portal (PFP) that provides wards with access to:
- information about every patient on a ward
- information that directly relates to coordinating care and managing patient flow, for example the status of required referrals for Medical, Nursing and Allied Health.
The EPJB assists with:
- making the patient journey visible to the whole team on a ward every day
- communication between all members of a healthcare team to progress the patient’s journey through a facility
- planning ahead to manage patient flow.
Some of the key requirements that the EPJB within the PFP caters for include:
- optimised display of information on a large screen monitor supporting 1080P resolution (i.e. Full High Definition) and horizontal scroll bars implemented for smaller resolutions
- operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (i.e. never times out) with automatic refresh every 5 minutes and last refreshed date/time displayed. In addition users can manually refresh data on EPJB at any time
- ability for information to be displayed in landscape or portrait view. Landscape provides opportunity for wards to view more information about each patient, whilst portrait will allow wards with > 35 beds to display all patients on screen without the need to scroll down
- integration with existing PFP functionality including Waiting for What, Inter Hospital Transfers, Inter Ward Transfers and Direct Ward Admissions
- ability for Patient Flow Administrators to customise the data displayed on the EPJB specific to a ward (i.e. each ward could potentially have different data displayed depending on their requirements).
The ability to access an EPJB within PFP provides numerous benefits to NSW Health staff including:
- data automatically populating EPJB when a patient is admitted or transferred into a ward via the Patient Administration System (PAS), therefore reducing the risk of transcribing errors thus greatly improving data integrity
- significantly reduced manual data entry when updating patient information on the EPJB especially when compared to manual white boards
- eliminating accidental deleting / rubbing out of hand written data from the manual white boards
- improved legibility within the EPJB versus handwriting on a manual PJB
- easy identification of outstanding tasks in the patient’s journey
- transferrable information between wards, facilities and LHD’s via the EPJB
- auto colour coded estimated date of discharge (EDD)
- documented delays captured in the Waiting for What (W4W) functionality in PFP auto populating and displaying
- inter hospital and inter ward transfers captured in the PFP Transfers module auto populating and displaying
- Patients Hospital and /or Ward length of stay and / or Time in Ward (displayed in hours for MAU, EMU) automatically being calculated and displayed
- number and specialty of admitted patients in the Emergency Department being displayed
- information on the EPJB can be updated and reviewed remotely via the PFP from any PC.
Patient Journey Boards - privacy vs clinical needs
A guide has been developed to support local teams in balancing considerations around patient privacy and clinical needs when they are implementing Patient Journey Boards.
Patient Journey Board information - Privacy guide
This guide was created collaboratively between:
- teams implementing patient journey boards in local hospitals
- the Acute Care Portfolio (Agency for Clinical Innovation)
- the Compliance Unit, Legal and Regulatory Services Branch (Ministry of Health)Compliance Unit, Legal and Regulatory Services Branch (Ministry of Health)
- the Whole of Health Program team.
This document is a guide only for local consideration. All final decisions about local Patient Journey Board implementation should be managed through existing local clinical governance functions.
By logging onto the PFP and/or the EPJB the user is acknowledging that they are abiding by the principles as set out in the NSW Health Privacy Manual and the Electronic Information Security Policy - NSW Health.
To access the EPJB with a unique username and password
- Go to Patient Flow Portal and the login page will be displayed
- By clicking on the relevant tab, the login page allows the user to login the
To access the EPJB via the PFP the user must click on the blue tab entitled ‘Patient Flow Portal’ and then:
- full version of PFP which subsequently allows full access to the EPJB
- Dashboard module for a selected hospital
- EPJB as a Generic Ward User.
If the credentials entered are correct and validated the user will be logged onto the Patient Mode view of Bed Board in the PFP.
Clicking on the EPJB icon will navigate the user to the EPJB module.
- enter their Active Directory network Log-in Name and Password
- select their Organisation from the drop down list
- click on the Submit button.
To access the EPJB with a generic ward password
- Go to Patient Flow Portal which displays the login page
- Click on the green tab entitled ‘Electronic Patient Journey Board’ to display the EPJB generic ward login window:
- The user must then:
- select the LHD, facility and active EPJB ward from each relevant drop down list
- enter the generic ward password for the EPJB ward selected (the password can be obtained from the facility PFP Manager) or by emailing the Patient Flow team
- click on the Submit button.
If the password entered is valid for the selected ward the user will be logged into the EPJB as a Generic Ward User for the selected ward.