Register for this free service at sms4dads.com
A free service for new dads in Northern NSW, Northern Sydney, Murrumbidgee and Western Sydney
If you are a dad-to-be or a new dad – Congratulations! Being a dad is rewarding but also challenging.
To help dads like you, NSW Health and sms4Dads at the University of Newcastle have partnered to launch a free, text message based service.
Once you register, you’ll receive free practical tips, information and links to help you understand and connect with your baby and support your partner.
These text messages:
- are timed to be appropriate to the development stage of your baby from pregnancy until birth and beyond
- will help you understand how your baby is developing, what they need and how you can support them
- regularly check in with how you are feeling
- provide links to reliable online information and services
- refer to support services for dads who may find the challenges of becoming a dad overwhelming.
What does the Focus on New Fathers program involve?
Once you register you will receive text messages three times a week.
The messages can start from as early as when your partner is 16 weeks pregnant until your baby is six months old.
To be eligible:
- you need to be 18 years old or older
- your partner needs to be at least 16 weeks pregnant or
- your baby is up to 24 weeks old.
You can sign up for free or stop at any time.
"Fathers are as good as mother at recognising and responding to the needs of their newborns."
Why is this service important?
NSW Health has, for many years, provided parenting support, information and screening that has focused on new mums. Now we are trying to find better ways to offer the same kind of support to new dads.
Dads have an important role to play in their child’s life. This service is about helping fathers-to-be and new fathers to feel confident and supported in their role as a parent.
The texts provide information to support new fathers, including times when parenting is extra challenging.
If you don’t live in these areas, you can still use the SMS4Dads service on Tresillian.
For more information about Focus on New Fathers, please contact MOH-MaternityChildandFamily@health.nsw.gov.au
To help explain the service to dads, health practitioners are encouraged to register for a three-week trial.