A key commitment of the Government is improving the wellbeing of the community and ensuring better outcomes for people with mental illness, their families and carers. Strengthening mental health care in NSW over the next ten years will mean:
- More support for staying well and at home as community mental health services are enhanced, and unnecessary hospital stays reduced
- More people with mental illness and disorders able to access care
- Services oriented around individual patients, carers and families to help people live better lives in the community or other care settings
- Mental health services that provide a better balance of acute care and community-based services.
- A focus on high quality acute and long-stay care to ensure people with complex needs are supported through targeted and specialised services.