How to Clean and Disinfect a Foot Spa?
Foot spas need to be cleaned thoroughly to prevent the growth and spread of disease causing micro-organisms. Micro-organisms 'germs' grow on moist dirty surfaces.
To prevent the spread of infectious diseases, a single-use disposable foot spa liner can be used, otherwise the foot spa should be cleaned and disinfected between each client and at the end of the day according to the following directions.
After each client
- Drain the water from the foot spa
- Clean the surfaces of the foot spa with a suitable cleaning agent, warm or hot water and scrubbing brush, then rinse
- Disinfect by spraying the foot spa with a hospital grade disinfectant (re-circulating 'air-jet' spas need to be disinfected by circulating clean water and disinfectant according to the manufacturer's instructions)
- After disinfection, wipe the foot spa until dry using a clean lint free cloth
At the end of the day
- Remove the foot spa components (inlet jets, filter screen) using gloves and thoroughly clean 'scrub' the foot spa and components with a brush, warm or hot water and a suitable cleaning agent
- Immerse the screen in a hospital grade disinfectant solution or a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) for at least 10 minutes
- Rinse the foot spa and components with clean water and re-assemble
- Re-fill with clean water and disinfectant - for re-circulating 'air-jet' spas the disinfectant solution must be circulating for the required contact time, or for at least 10 minutes. A long contact time is more likely to kill bacteria and other disease causing microorganisms
- After disinfecting, drain, rinse and dry
- Store the foot spa in a clean, dry and dust free environment
Once every week soak the foot spa with disinfectant overnight
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and disinfection
Related information and links