Introduction | Administration of Licences
The New South Wales Ministry of Health is the regulatory authority for privately owned and operated private health facilities across the state. Within the Ministry of Health the Private Health Care Unit has responsibility on behalf of the Secretary, NSW Health for regulating private health facilities and enforcing licensing standards under the:
The objects of the Private Health Facilities Act are:
- to maintain appropriate and consistent standards of health care and professional practice in private health facilities, and
- to plan for and provide comprehensive, balanced and coordinated health services throughout New South Wales.
The legislation sets the requirements for licensing including the minimum standards for the provision of safe, appropriate and quality health care for patients in private health facilities in NSW. Standards can be prescribed in respect to any matter relating to the safety, care or quality of life of patients at private health facilities, including the following matters:
- clinical standards, including accreditation of practitioners to provide services at the facility, delineation of clinical privileges of practitioners and quality assurance,
- staffing, including qualifications of staff members, number of staff and duties,
- design and construction of clinical areas,
- operational matters, including administration and support services.
The Regulation specifies 18 classes of private health facilities and sets out the standards facilities are required to meet for each type of class. Facilities can be licenced for more than one class.
The NSW Ministry of Health adopts a risk management approach and works with the owners and managers of private health facilities to ensure that the appropriate standards of safety, care and quality of life for patients are met. The Secretary, NSW Health can cancel a licence if there is serious non-compliance with an Act or Regulation.
Administration of Licences
The Private Health Care Unit is also responsible for the administration of:
Further information and assistance can be found by contacting:
Private Health Care Unit
Telephone: +61 2 9424 5955
Fax: +61 2 9424 5960
Locked Mail Bag 961, North Sydney NSW 2059