Information about the disposal of community sharps
- NSW Needle Clean Up Hotline is a call centre that takes reports from the public and coordinates the clean-up of dumped needles and syringes in public places anywhere in NSW. Phone: 1800 633 353.
- Safe Sharps is an interactive site that allows sharps users’ to identify locations where sharps can be disposed of appropriately. It is linked to Google Maps and allows users to find the most convenient location. Details on how to download the iPhone, Ipad and Android app can be found on Safe Sharps.
- Every local health district in NSW has a Harm Minimisation Coordinator who can provide specialist advice to councils on disposal issues, as well as education for council staff and support in the development of a community sharps management.
- Your Local Council can provide information about sharps in your local area.
- Over 400 pharmacies in NSW participate in the Pharmacy NSP (or Fitpack Scheme), which provides clean injecting equipment, a personal use sharps container, and safe disposal of used equipment.
Environmental Protection Authority
- Diabetes NSW is the peak consumer body for diabetes and the first diabetes organisation in Australia. Their mission is to prevent diabetes and its complications, through education programs, research, advocacy, and the provision of services to people living with or at risk of diabetes throughout New South Wales. Phone: 1300 DIABETES (1300 342 238).
- National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government administered by Diabetes Australia. The NDSS delivers diabetes-related products at subsidised prices and provides information and support services to people with diabetes. Phone: 1800 637 700.
Alcohol and drug information
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) provides drug and alcohol advice, referrals and information, including NSP locations and services. ADIS has a 24 hour phone line for support, information, advice, crisis counselling and referral to services in NSW. Phone: (02) 9361 8000 (Sydney) or free call: 1800 422 599 (For NSW regional and rural callers).
- The NSW Users & AIDS Association (NUAA) is a not-for-profit organisation advocating for people who use drugs, particularly those who inject drugs. NUAA maintain an online service directory which includes phone numbers for Needle and Syringe Programs and contact details for other services for IDU in NSW.