South Eastern Sydney Local Health District
PACER is a Police and MHS response activated by Police, targeting peak demand times, offering on-scene and telephone assistance in the community. The pilot is implemented within the St George (STG) MHS.
- A MH Clinician as a secondary response.
- Assessment in the community at time of crisis.
- Real time social and clinical information.
PACER provides person-centred trauma informed care, reducing Emergency Department (ED) presentations, increasing out of hospital referral capabilities.
- Cross-agency and informed response to people experiencing MH crisis.
- Avoidance of ED presentations.
- Early links to community and welfare services.
- Provision of alternate pathways to care.
- Early de-escalation, avoiding coercive measures.
- Reductions in ED presentations via Police and Ambulance.
- Reduced demand on agencies including Police time on scene