Having a child is a huge change to your life. There may be challenging times, but help is available.

Child and family health services

Child and family health services are free for NSW parents and carers. You can access these local services from your child's birth to when they start school.

Local community services are run by health professionals who specialise in child and family health.

You can get support on a range of issues, such as:

  • sleeping and settling
  • feeding – breastfeeding, bottle feeding and solids
  • health and developmental checks for your child
  • adjusting to parenting
  • your own mental health and wellbeing.

Aboriginal families can also access Building Strong Foundations.

You don't need a referral to access a child and family health service. Find the one closest to you.

Your doctor (General Practitioner/GP)

Your doctor is the person to see:

  • if your child is sick
  • if you have any concerns about your child's health
  • for support about your child's health and development
  • for referrals to other health services (e.g. speech therapist, physiotherapist) and specialists (e.g. paediatrician), if needed.

You can find a doctor using the National Health Services Directory.

Extra support

Karitane and Tresillian offer a range of services to support you in your parenting journey. These are free or covered by Medicare. Support services may be delivered in the community, virtually or in residential settings.

Parenting support services are run by health professionals who specialise in child and family health. These include child and family nurses, lactation consultants, paediatricians, psychologists, and social workers.

To find out more on the types of services, contact:

  • Karitane Careline on 1300 227 464
  • Tresillian Parent's Help Line on 1300 272 736.

Karitane or Tresillian will let you know which support service is best for you.

Parenting helplines 

Current as at: Friday 31 March 2023
Contact page owner: Maternity, Child and Family