The Aboriginal Older People's Mental Health - Resources for Local Health District SMHSOP package is aimed at local health district (LHD) Specialised Mental Health Services for Older People (SMHSOP), but may also be useful for other mental health services and programs. It has been developed with input from, and endorsed by the Aboriginal Older People's Mental Health Working Group convened by the Older People's Mental Health Policy Unit. The working group was established in response to recommendations arising from the Aboriginal Older People's Mental Health Project.
This package has been compiled to provide a cohesive collection of some previously distributed resources, along with some new examples and information. It is anticipated that this will provide information and ideas to galvanize local interest in improving LHD SMHSOP responses to the needs of older Aboriginal people, and support the implementation of new initiatives and/or strengthen existing efforts.
The package contains background and context, including the Aboriginal OPMH Project’s eight principles of care, along with:
- a practical guide to partnerships
- a description of the roles and purpose of Aboriginal Health Workers and Aboriginal Mental Health Workers
- information on workforce initiatives, including learning and development opportunities for SMHSOP, and OPMH Policy Unit work with the Charles Sturt University Djirruwang Program including SMHSOP clinical placements from Djirruwang students
- a summary and practical information from the Western NSW LHD initiative Aboriginal Mental Health First Aid for Elders
- LHD examples of partnership and pathway initiatives
- a calendar of significant dates for Aboriginal people
- key references.