Seven new cases of COVID-19 were diagnosed in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, bringing the total number of cases in NSW to 3,768. There have been no new deaths, with the total number remaining at 54.
|Confirmed cases (including interstate residents in NSW health care facilities)
|Deaths (in NSW from confirmed cases)
|Total tests carried out
There were 10,806 tests reported in the 24-hour reporting period, compared with 24,093 in the previous 24 hours. As COVID-19 continues to circulate in the community, maintaining high rates of testing is vital at this time, and NSW Health urges anyone with even the mildest symptoms to come forward for testing.
Of the seven new cases reported to 8pm last night:
- six were locally acquired
- one is a traveller in hotel quarantine.
Three locally acquired cases are close contacts of case linked to Chopstix Asian Cuisine at Smithfield RSL. Two are close contacts of a case linked to the Our Lady of Mercy College, whose source is still under investigation.
One case attended Sydney Girls High school at Surry Hills while infectious on 6, 7, 10 and 11 August. The school is closed for cleaning and will reopen on Tuesday, 18 August. Contact tracing is under way.
Another case worked at Parramatta Local Court. The person last attended Parramatta Local Court on Wednesday, 12 August, and the positive result was received on Saturday, 15 August. As a precaution, cleaning of the courthouse took place on Sunday, 16 August. All close contacts have been identified and are being contacted.
Some recent cases have reported thinking their symptoms were just flu. Little influenza is circulating at present in the community. Anyone with even mild symptoms - such as a runny nose, sore throat, fever, loss of taste or smell - should assume it is COVID-19 until proven otherwise with a simple test and isolate themselves while awaiting the result.
Positive cases have attended the venues below. Anyone who attended these venues at the following dates and times are considered to be casual contacts, and should monitor for symptoms and immediately get tested and isolate if symptoms occur, however mild:
- Parramatta Local Court on Tuesday, 11 August and Wednesday, 12 August between 8.30am and 12.30pm
- Woolworths Metro North Strathfield on Saturday, 8 August between 12.50pm and 1.15pm
- DFO Homebush on Saturday 8 August between 10:45am and 12pm
For a list of locations associated with known cases and advice on testing and isolation, see NSW Government - Latest new and updates.
There are currently 117 COVID-19 cases being treated by NSW Health. There are seven COVID‑19 patients in intensive care and five are ventilated. Eighty-nine per cent of cases being treated by NSW Health are in non-acute, out-of-hospital care.
To help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- If you are unwell, stay in, get tested and isolate.
- Wash your hands regularly. Take hand sanitiser with you when you go out.
- Keep your distance. Leave 1.5 metres between yourself and others.
- Wear a mask in situations where you cannot physically distance.
A full list of COVID-19 testing clinics is available or people can visit their GP.
Anyone directed to undertake a 14-day self-isolation period must stay in isolation for the full 14 days, even if they test negative during this time. Early testing may not detect an infection, and release from self-isolation based on a negative test could allow an infectious person to infect others in the community. People who are infected and develop symptoms will generally do so within 14 days of exposure.
Of the known clusters, there are now:
- 5 cases linked to Chopstix Asian Cuisine at the Smithfield RSL
- 6 cases linked to Our Lady of Mercy School Parramatta
- 25 cases linked to Tangara School Cherrybrook cluster
- 11 cases linked to Soldiers Club Batemans Bay
- 116 cases linked to Thai Rock Restaurant Wetherill Park
- 72 cases linked to the July funeral events in the Bankstown area
- 37 cases linked to Thai Rock Restaurant Potts Point
- 58 cases linked to Crossroads Hotel Casula
- 2 cases linked to Dooley’s Lidcombe Catholic Club.
Confirmed cases to date
|Locally acquired – contact of a confirmed case and/or in a known cluster
|Locally acquired – contact not identified
Counts reported for a particular day may vary over time with ongoing enhanced surveillance activities.
Returned travellers in hotel quarantine to date
|Symptomatic travellers tested
|Asymptomatic travellers screened at a day 2
|Asymptomatic travellers screened at a day 10