Applications open 1 November 2015 and close 19 February 2016.
Scholarships of up to $15,000 are available in 2015 to Aboriginal people currently working as registered nurses or registered midwives in NSW to assist with educational expenses directly associated with postgraduate study.
The NSW Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship Fund provides Aboriginal Postgraduate Scholarships under the following targeted areas:
- Drug and Alcohol
- Mental Health
- Early Childhood
- Chronic Care
- Clinical Studies
- Education Management.
This scholarship is for 2016 only. Re-application for a scholarship is required each year.
Terms and Conditions
Am I eligible to apply?
- Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent?
- Do you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person?
- Are you known and accepted in the community in which you live or have lived?
- Are you a resident of NSW?
- Are you currently employed as a registered nurse/midwife within NSW?
- Will you be enrolled in an Australian postgraduate course in 2016 that is accredited under the NSW Higher Education Act (2001)?
- Are you willing to participate in an evaluation or telephone survey about the Aboriginal Scholarships Program?
If you answered 'yes' to the above questions you are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
You are required to send the following documents to the Nursing and Midwifery Office to be received by 19 February 2016.
- A copy of your Confirmation of Aboriginality. (For further information please refer to the frequently asked questions)
- Official confirmation of enrolment in an Australian postgraduate nursing or midwifery course in 2016. This document must include:
- your name
- the name of the course
- the year of study
- a list of the subjects you have enrolled in for 2016.
If your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please provide a brief letter indicating your intention to enrol and forward your enrolment confirmation as soon as possible so that your application can be progressed. Generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
- Please include a current copy of your Resume.
- A letter from your employer in the following format:
- On your employer's official letterhead
- Dated and signed (within in the last three months)
- State your name
- State the title of your position
- State your employment status (full-time, part-time or casual)
- State how long you have been employed in this position.
NOTE: Applicants undertaking postgraduate study leading to registration as a midwife must show proof of having concurrent employment in a recognised student midwifery position in a maternity service.
- A completed 'Statement by a supplier' form.
- This is an Australian Taxation Office form. By completing this form the Health Education and Training Institute is not obliged to deduct tax from your scholarship.
- If you do not have an Australian Business Number (ABN), you will need to complete this form.
- Print your name and address in 'Section A: Supplier details'.
- In Section A, question 3, cross the most appropriate box (one only and it is usually the last box). Please note, the Health Education and Training Institute is unable to advise which box to select as it relates to your personal circumstances.
- In 'Section B: Declaration', sign where it says 'Signature of supplier (or authorised person)'. Unsigned and/or incomplete forms will not be processed and your application will be deemed to be unsuccessful.
- A sample of a completed form.
- A completed Aboriginal Scholarship Application / Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) Payment Form. Please note that payments cannot be made into credit card accounts.
- An essay of no more than 250 words describing how the qualification being studied will make a positive contribution to your current role and the Aboriginal community.
Note: If you have previously received a postgraduate scholarship from the NSW Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship Fund please supply a copy of your official course results.
Supply of Documents
Applications can be submitted via email or Australia Post. If applying via mail, it is strongly recommended that you send your supporting documentation by Express Post so that it can be tracked.
Please mail your completed documents to:
NSW Aboriginal Nursing and Midwifery Strategy
Nursing and Midwifery Office
NSW Ministry of Health
Locked Mail Bag 961
NORTH SYDNEY NSW 2059
Or alternatively, please email your completed documents to: email@example.com
Please read the entire terms and conditions above and the frequently asked questions before completing the Aboriginal Scholarship Application Form.