Am I eligible to apply? | Application requirements | Online application form | Frequently asked questions
Scholarships of up to $8,000 are available to registered nurses and midwives who are working in full or part-time permanent positions in the NSW public health system. These scholarships are provided to assist with educational expenses directly associated with postgraduate study. Scholarships are awarded through a competitive selection process and not all applicants will be awarded a scholarship. The scholarship will not cover all costs associated with a program of study.
The overall aim of these scholarships is to support the recruitment, retention and skill development of registered nurses and midwives currently working in the NSW public health system.
Scholarships will be offered under the following categories:
- Category 1 – Clinical Studies
- Category 2 – Education
- Category 3 – Management
- Category 4 – Post graduate study leading to registration as a midwife
The Nursing and Midwifery postgraduate scholarships offered in 2016 consist of a single payment which is dependent upon the postgraduate qualification being undertaken. Scholarships will be awarded as a contribution toward the cost of courses at the following levels:
Mental health and drug and alcohol postgraduate scholarships are funded via a partnership between the Mental Health and Drug & Alcohol Office and the Nursing and Midwifery Office.
Terms and Conditions
Only one scholarship per program of study will be awarded
Ms Jones applies for and is awarded a $6,000 scholarship in 2016 to undertake a Graduate Diploma in Intensive Care Nursing. Ms Jones completes the Graduate Diploma and in 2018 decides to “upgrade” to a Masters qualification in Intensive Care Nursing. She will not be eligible to apply for a scholarship as the initial scholarship provided was for the same program of study for this Masters.
Only one scholarship will be awarded to an applicant in a three-year timeframe
Ms Jones enrols in a Graduate Diploma in 2016 and intends to take three years to complete this course. If she was deemed to be successful and awarded $6,000 for study in 2016, she is not eligible to apply for another scholarship until 2019.
The scholarships are not offered to support research projects. Funding will not be available for courses studied outside Australia or for courses run by the College of Nursing that are funded by the Ministry of Health.
Am I eligible to apply?
Each category of scholarship has specified criteria which is described in the Scholarship Categories, Essay Requirements and Marking Criteria document. In addition to this, the following criteria must be met for all categories:
- Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Currently employed and working permanently full-time or part-time as a registered nurse or registered midwife within the NSW public health system.
Note: Applicants undertaking postgraduate study leading to registration as a midwife (midwifery student applicants) must instead show proof of having concurrent employment in a recognised midwifery student position in a public maternity service.
- Must be enrolled in an Australian postgraduate course in 2016 that is accredited under the Higher Education Act (2001) of the relevant jurisdiction.
- The program of study leads to a qualification (Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters) and is not a research program.
- The applicant has not received a scholarship from the Nursing and Midwifery Office either in the last three years or for the same program of study.
Scholarship Categories, Essay Requirements and Marking Criteria
You are required to provide the following two (2) documents to support your application. These documents are to be received by the Health Education and Training Institute by 11 March 2016:
- Official confirmation of your enrolment in an Australian postgraduate Nursing or Midwifery course in 2016. This document must include your name, the name of the course, the year of study and a list of the subjects you have enrolled in for 2016. Generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
NOTE: If your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please provide a brief letter indicating your intention to enrol and forward your enrolment confirmation when received. Enrolment confirmation must be provided by:
A letter from your employer in the following format:
- 1 April 2016 for the first semester/trimester
- 1 September 2016 for semester 2 or trimester 3.
- On Health Service letterhead from your employee services department or immediate manager
- Must be dated and signed (within the last three months)
- States your name
- States the title of your position
- States your employment status (full-time, part-time or casual)
- States how long you have been employed in this position
NOTE: Applicants undertaking postgraduate study leading to registration as a midwife (midwifery student applicants) must instead show proof of having concurrent employment in a recognised midwifery student position in a public maternity service.
Supply of enrolment confirmation at a later stage
It is preferable that you send your supporting documentation by Express Post so that you can track its delivery status by going to: http://www.auspost.com.au/track/
Please send your completed documents to:
Attention: Donna Fong
Health Education and Training Institute
Locked Bag 5022
Gladesville NSW 1675
Online Application Form
Please read the entire terms and conditions and frequently asked questions before proceeding to the online application. Please note this online application is not supported by mobile devices.
Online applications open on 18 January 2016 and close at 5:00pm on 11 March 2016.
Only online applications will be accepted. You must complete all parts of the application form. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
You need to complete your online application in one session and once submitted your application cannot be changed. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you write your essay in a Word document before you fill out the online application form. Save the essay to your hard drive, then attach it into the required section on the online application form.
When your application is lodged electronically, you will be allocated a unique registration ID number. You need to record your registration ID number on the completed forms provided by you. It is advisable to print off your completed application with your unique registration ID number.
Frequently Asked Questions
All successful applicants may be required to participate in an evaluation or telephone survey regarding scholarships provided under the Health Education and Training Institute.
For further information about this scholarship, please contact the Senior Program Officer by email at email@example.com.