NSW Health is committed to delivering outcomes and experiences that matter to patients and the community. A value based healthcare approach will help us to achieve this.
In NSW, value based healthcare means continually striving to deliver care that improves:
- health outcomes that matter to patients
- experiences of receiving care
- experiences of providing care
- effectiveness and efficiency of care.
These four essentials of value are also known as the quadruple aim.
Value based healthcare should be driven by patients, clinicians and the community
Value based healthcare requires engagement from patients, the community, clinicians and organisations across NSW. A collaborative approach will ensure that we are delivering the best outcomes for patients and the best value for the system.
Value based healthcare needs to be considered at all levels of healthcare.
Am I providing care that delivers the outcomes and experiences that matter most to the patient?
Are we using available resources optimally to improve outcomes?
Are we allocating resources and creating the environment that enables the best outcomes?
NSW Health programs
We are accelerating the move towards value based healthcare by piloting, scaling and embedding statewide priority programs and developing a range of system wide enablers.
The statewide priority programs currently accelerating our move to value based healthcare are:
- Leading Better Value Care - identifying and scaling evidence based initiatives statewide for specific conditions.
- Integrated Care - statewide strategies to coordinate care and processes within the health system and with other service providers.
- Commissioning for Better Value - shifting focus on non-clinical and clinical support projects from outputs to outcomes.
- Collaborative Commissioning - whole-of-system approach to incentivise local autonomy and accountability for delivering patient-centred and outcome-focused care in the community.
Value based healthcare in NSW framework
We have developed a framework to support healthcare professionals' understanding of value based healthcare in NSW. It provides an overview of NSW Health's approach to value - including the vision and the accelerating programs and enablers.