The Youth Health Resource Kit assists workers to deliver effective and youth-friendly health services.
The kit contains up-to-date and comprehensive information about youth health needs for young people (aged 12-24), including those who are most vulnerable. This kit also provides skills and practical steps workers can use to respond effectively to young people. Each section is written by topic experts and has been carefully reviewed.
The kit will be useful for a wide range of health workers, whether novice or experienced, working within the NSW Health system or for a non-government organisation or private organisation.
The Youth Health Resource Kit is out of print. Please access them online.
Section 1: Understanding young people
- Adolescence – a developmental perspective
- The health and wellbeing of young Australians
Section 2: Providing health services to young people
- The Australian health care system
- Young people and health services
- Collaboration and case management
- Using technology
Section 3: Skills for providing youth-friendly services
- Youth-friendly communication
- Psychosocial assessment
- Understanding risk-taking behaviour
- Trauma-informed practice
- Medico-legal issues
- Cultural diversity and culturally-competent practice
- Resilience and Indigenous young people
- Substance use
- Mental health
- Sexual health
- Chronic conditions and disability
- Healthy lifestyles
- Working with families
- Youth health resources and contacts
- Your local services
- Youth health check
- Youth health risk assessment
- Youth friendly checklist for health services
- Key principles: transitioning to adult health services