​​​​​​​​​​​​An advanced care plan sets out the health care choices you would want if you became seriously ill or injured and were unable to say what you want your care to be. This is important for Aboriginal people in terms of communicating cultural preferences. Advance care planning involves you, your family and health professionals and can also include your local Aboriginal Health Worker. The first step is just having a yarn about your health and letting everyone know what you want. There are options to document your healthcare preferences on the booklet: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Discussion Starter – Working Out What’s Right For You - Palliative Care Australia

​More information about how to have a yarn about your choices can be found at Discussing Choices – Indigenous Advance Care Plans - Palliative Care Australia

You can make an Advance Care Directive so that everyone knows exactly what you want and who does what. This is the best way to have a voice if you become too sick to speak for yourself.

If you can no longer make or communicate decisions, a family member or healthcare professional can document medical treatment preferences for you using the Advance care plan for a person with insufficient decision-making capacity form. This form isn't legally binding, but it can be helpful when others are needing to make decisions on your behalf.

The Aboriginal Wills Handbook and Taking Care of Business aim to help Aboriginal people with information around planning ahead. The resources are provided through the NSW Trustee and Guardian website

You may also choose to appoint a trusted family member or friend as your enduring guardian. You can appoint one or more adults as an enduring guardian.  An enduring guardian will make decisions if you are not able to. To do this, you need to complete the Appointment of Enduring Guardian Form. ​​
Current as at: Wednesday 13 December 2023