If you're unsure about which service is best for you, call the Sexual Health Infolink on 1800 451 624.

General practice

A doctor, also called a general practitioner (GP), is the first person to see if you have illness or health problem. In most cases, doctors prefer you to make an appointment in advance.

You might choose to see your current family doctor or you might look for a different doctor. The choice is yours. Everybody looks for different things in their doctor. You might choose a doctor based on convenience, their gender or because they specialise in a particular area.

Most doctors require a Medicare card. Medicare is Australia's universal health care system, providing access to health care for all Australians. Without a Medicare card, you may be asked to pay the full cost of your visit to the doctor. More information regarding Medicare services can be found at the Services Australia.

Sexual health services

Publicly funded sexual health services are available across NSW and provide a range of medical, counselling and health promotion services to those most at risk of HIV/AIDS and sexually transmissible infections

Aboriginal health services

Visit Community links to find the nearest Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service or Aboriginal Sexual Health STI, HIV Hepatitis Worker.

Family Planning

Family Planning NSW is an independent, non-profit organisation. Family Planning NSW centres are confidential and open to everyone. It is advisable to make an appointment. Most consultations are provided at no cost or low cost. Family Planning NSW services include advice and supply of contraception's, pregnancy tests and counselling, pap tests, breast checks and tests and treatment for sexually transmissible infections.

Women's Health

Women's Health NSW is an association of state wide women's health centres and specialist women's centre.

Sexual assault

  • NSW Rape Crisis Centre
    This service has a 24-hour crisis line. (02) 9819 6565 or 1800 424 017 (outside Sydney) TTY (02) 9181 4349 (for deaf and speech impaired)
  • NSW Domestic Violence Line
    Department of Communities and Justice 1800 656 463 (24 hours)

Cultural and language specific services

Drug and alcohol

Needle Clean Up Hotline

If you find a discarded needle, syringe or for more information about needle and syringe management call the 24 hour clean-up hotline 1800 633 353

Alcohol and Drug Information Service

For more information about drugs and alcohol, call the Alcohol and Drug Information Service on (02) 9361 8000 or 1800 422 599 (from outside Sydney).

Other useful sources of information include:

Website includes information on depression, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, safe sex and pregnancy, and many other topics.

Stigma and discrimination

Telephone information and support services

NSW Sexual Health Infolink

When you call, a nurse who specialises in sexual health will answer your questions using up-to-date information. The service is anonymous and confidential. It is open from 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
1800 451 624

Alcohol and Drug Information Service

24 hour service
(02) 9361 8000
1800 422 599 (outside Sydney)

Domestic Violence Line

Department of Communities and Justice
1800 656 463 (24 hours)

Family Planning NSW Talkline

This is a telephone and email information and referral service staffed by experts in reproductive and sexual health. It is open 8:30am to 5:00pm weekdays. Further information is available at Family Planning NSW Talkline.
1300 658 886

Twenty 10, and Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service of NSW

Operates 5.30pm to 10.30pm, 7 days a week.
(02) 8594 9596 or 1800 184 527 (outside Sydney)

Twenty 10, and Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service of NSW

Hep C Helpline

(02) 9332 1599
1800 803 990 (outside Sydney)

Heterosexual HIV/AIDS Service (Pozhet)

A state-wide program supporting men and women living heterosexually with HIV/AIDS, their partners and family members.
1800 812 404

HIV/AIDS Information line

9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm Saturday
(02) 9332 4000
1800 451 600 (NSW callers)
TTY for the deaf (02) 9332 4268

Kids Helpline

24 hour service. Anonymous and confidential counselling for Kids 5-12, Teens 13-17 and Young Adults 18-25.
Kids Helpline
1800 551 800


24 hour counselling service
13 11 14

NSW Needlestick Injury

Free-call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
1800 804 823

NSW Rape Crisis Centre

24-hour crisis line
(02) 9819 6565
1800 424 017 (outside Sydney)
TTY for deaf (02) 9181 4349 (for deaf and speech impaired)

PEP Information line

24 hour service
1800 PEP NOW (1800 737 669)

Positive Life NSW

A community organisation representing the interests of people living with HIV in NSW.

(02) 9361 6011
1800 245 677​

Current as at: Thursday 22 June 2023
Contact page owner: Centre for Population Health