​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Sometimes vaping may be related to stress, anxiety, depression and other drug and alcohol use. It’s important to know when and where to get help if you or someone you know are experiencing these issues.  

​​​​This page lists helpful websites and support services for children, young people and their parents and carers.  ​

​​​ On this page

Support to quit vaping​

It is possible to quit vaping. See your general practitioner, youth health service, or other health services for help to quit vaping.

Call the Quitline on 13 7848 (13 QUIT). Quitline is a telephone-based service, offering information and advice on how to quit based on your own needs and preferences.

You can access the Aboriginal Quitline by calling 13 7848 and asking to speak to an Aboriginal counsellor.

Visit the Vaping - Quit Support factsheet for practical tips and strategies on how you can manage cravings and quit.

There are also apps you can download to help you quit vaping. These apps can help you track your progress, connect with others who are quitting, and cope with cravings. You can download the apps from Vaping harms your health.​​​

Mental health help for children and young people

If you are concerned about mental health, speaking to trusted friends, parents, carers or teachers and school counsellors or a doctor (GP) is a good first step in getting help.


These websites provide information on understanding stress and anxiety, and offers practical tips on healthy ways to cope.

The ​ ​ReachOut website has many helpful articles for young people:

Headspace, is also for young people:
Kids Helplineis for teens aged 13 to 17.

Kids Helpline also has articles for kids aged five to 12.

Support services​

Kids Helpline  1800 55 1800

  • Free, confidential 24/7 online and phone counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25, parents and schools. 
  • Available via WebChat, phone or email. 
  • Suport available for kids (5-12), teens (13-17) and young adults (18-25), parents and schools 
Headspace 1800 650 890
  • ​Provide support to anyone aged 12-25
  • eheadspace is a free and confidential online chat, email, telephone support, counselling service to young people 12 - 25 years. 
  • Located across NSW, you can visit a headspace centre and talk to a mental health professional within a confidential and safe environment.


  • National online mental health organisation for young people.
  • Provides practical tools and tips and peer support for young people. 100% online, anonymous and confidential.
  • PeerChat is a free text-based private chat with a peer worker for anyone aged 18-25.

BeyondBlue 1300 22 4636

NSW Mental Health Line 1800 011 511

  • Operates a 24 hours -7 days a week mental health telephone access service for young people and adults.
  • Trained, professional staff will assess your situation and decide the most appropriate service that can help you.

Online programs​

Below are free, online programs that can help you understand and cope with feelings of worry and sadness. Your doctor (GP) or school may be aware of other programs that can help. 


  • The Brave program is run by The University of Queensland, University of Southern Queensland and Griffith University and is a free, fun, easy to use, and evidence-based program designed for children, teens and their parents or carers who want to learn how to reduce stress and anxiety, and improve their mood.
  • The program is designed to help young people and their parents/carers understand and change worried thoughts and behaviour patterns so you can feel better. 

This way up


  • This way up has online evidence-based programs to help improve the way you feel, delivered in partnership with University of New South Wales, St Vincent's Hospital Sydney, and Clinical Research Unit for Anxiety and Depression
  • The Teen Worry and Sadness Program helps teens and their parents/carers learn practical strategies for managing worry and low mood with a health practitioner supported online treatment program.
  • Other programs to help with mental health are available. 

Alcohol and other drugs help for young people

If you are concerned about alcohol or other drug use, speak to an adult such as a parent, carer, teacher or school counsellor.Seeing a doctor (GP) is a good first step in getting help.


Drug info

Your Room

Support services

Alcohol and Drug Information Service(ADIS) 1800 250 015
  •  24-hour 7 day a week free, confidential and anonymous telephone service providing counselling, support, referrals and information for those affected by alcohol or other drugs
  • ADIS Web Chat is a free, anonymous and confidential chat service for people who have concerns about alcohol or other drug use. Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm (including public holidays) 

Current as at: Tuesday 13 February 2024
Contact page owner: Centre for Population Health