Commissioning for Better Value (CBV) is one of the state-wide programs accelerating the move to
value based healthcare in NSW.
In NSW Health, commissioning involves:
- analysing service needs and identifying desired outcomes
- designing evidence-based service models
- implementing the selected service model
- reviewing and evaluating outcomes for continuous improvement.
Shifting the focus from outputs to outcomes
Outputs are designed around the amount of activity being provided, whereas outcomes focus on the person receiving the service.
CBV provides a structure that puts the patient at the centre of service design, with a focus on measuring and achieving outcomes.
Providing services that deliver improved outcomes for patients, clinicians and other end-users drives value within the health system.
A focus on outcomes can contribute to value based care by improving:
- health outcomes that matter to patients and the community
- experiences of receiving care
- experiences of providing care
- effectiveness and efficiency of care.