During heatwaves everyone is at risk of heat-related illness, however. some people are at higher risk.
People most at risk are:
- over the age of 75
- babies and young children
- overweight or obese
- pregnant or breastfeeding
- poor mobility
- not drinking enough water
- socially isolated, living alone
- working in a hot environment
- exercising vigorously in the heat
- have a chronic illness* (such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, mental illness)
- have an acute illness* (an infection with fever or gastroenteritis)
- aking certain medications (check with your GP)
There are many more conditions that may be affected in hot weather. If you are unsure about your condition, discuss it with your GP.