Integrated care – Leading partnerships to deliver seamless care anywhere.
The vision for NSW Health is “a sustainable health system that delivers outcomes that matter to patients, is personalised, invests in wellness and is digitally enabled”. Value based healthcare is an over-arching approach to healthcare delivery and system design that will support NSW Health to achieve this vision.
In NSW Value Based Healthcare means continually striving to deliver services that simultaneously improve the four essentials of value:
- health outcomes that matter to patients
- experience of receiving care
- experience of providing care
- effectiveness and efficiency of care
NSW Health is accelerating the move towards Value Based Health Care by piloting, scaling and embedding state-wide programs and developing a range of system wide enablers. Integrated Care is one of four state-wide priority programs accelerating the move under the Value Based Health Care Framework.
Integrated care involves the provision of seamless, effective and efficient care that reflects the whole of a person’s health needs:
- from prevention through to end of life
- across both physical, psychosocial and mental health, and
- in partnership with the individual, carers, and family members
This includes state-wide strategies coordinating better communication and connectivity between health care providers in primary care, community, and hospital settings, and providing better access to community-based services closer to home.
The NSW health system faces significant challenges in the coming decades as the effects of an ageing population and the growing prevalence of chronic and complex disease places pressures on the delivery of health care. Integrated care is a crucial step to delivering care that is patient-centred, primarily provided in the community in partnership with primary care and provides value to the people of NSW.
What are the benefits of integrated care?
Integrated care provides benefits to the vulnerable in our community. These include:
- program enrolment and delivery of interventions for health coaching, care navigation and care coordination, improving health literacy and understanding of their illness, improve self-management capability in the community
- linking people into primary care and community service provides continuity of care with access to services and support in the community
- through integrated care, people can gain independence helping them to manage their own health care and minimise their hospitalisation as long as possible.
For more information about Integrated Care, contact the team at: MOH-IntegratedCare@health.nsw.gov.au