If you are an international dental practitioner and want to practice in Australia, you can apply for general registration with the Dental Board of Australia if you meet certain requirements.

Pathways to Australian registration​

There are four pathways to Australian general registration for dentists, dental therapists and oral health therapists with international qualifications.

Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangeme​nt with New Zealand

If you are registered to practice in New Zealand, you can apply for registration in Australia under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement (TTMR). This applies regardless of where you studied.

Visit the Dental Council of New Zealand  for information about the application process for registration under the TTMR.

Graduates from Otago University

Graduates who have obtained their qualification from the University of Otago, New Zealand can register with the Dental Board of Australia.

For more information, visit the University of Otago.

Registered to practice in the UK or the Republic of Ireland

If you obtained your dental qualifications in the UK or Republic of Ireland from an approved university, your qualifications are considered equivalent to those in Australia. You should be eligible to apply for registration.

For more information visit the Dental Board of Australia.

Registered to practice in Canada

If you are from Canada, you can apply for registration if:

  • your qualifications are certified by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada, or
  • you have been eligible for registration in Canada by successfully completing an exam administered by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada.

Other registration opti​ons

If you don't qualify for any of thee four pathways, you have two other options.

Option A: You can complete an approved Australian-based qualification.

Option B: You can undertake the exam procedure overseen by the Australian Dental Council.

English language requirements

All international graduates must demonstrate that they have the necessary English language skills for registration purposes.

Immigration and visa information

For the latest advice on immigration and all issues related to visas, visit the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs .

The NSW Government also provides skilled visa options for highly skilled professionals.

Please note: NSW Health is unable to provide advice about either immigration or visa requirements.


Visit the NSW Government website for the latest COVID-19 information for international arrivals into Australia.

Current as at: Wednesday 20 September 2023