On this page

Am I eligible for public dental?

All children (under 18 years of age) who are NSW residents and eligible for Medicare, can access public dental services in NSW. 

Adult NSW residents must be eligible for Medicare and be listed on one of the following Australian Government concession cards:

  • Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Additional eligibility criteria may apply for dental specialist services or dental services provided in a hospital.

All patients should be prepared to show their Medicare card and/or concession card when they visit a public dental clinic.

How do I make an appointment?

Public dental services provide both emergency and general dental services. Emergency dental patients are given priority.

Contact your local public dental service to make an appointment.

Please have Medicare and concession card details available when you call.

Dental emergencies

Symptoms of a possible dental emergency:

  • dental trauma or injury
  • swelling of the face or neck
  • swelling in the mouth
  • bleeding from the mouth that won't stop
  • difficulty opening jaw and/or swallowing

If your think your symptoms are serious or if your situation deteriorates before you can access dental care, call Triple Zero (000) or go to your nearest hospital Emergency Department.

During working hours you can also contact your local public dental service to arrange care. ​​​​​

Dental services at Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Centres

Some Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Centres (ACCHS) provide dental care for their patients. Each ACCHS may have different eligibility criteria and appointment processes for their dental programs. Contact your local ACCHS for more information.

Current as at: Monday 30 March 2020