​Legal access to cannabis medicines

In NSW, a doctor can legally prescribe a cannabis medicine for a health condition if they believe it is an appropriate treatment option and they have obtained the relevant approvals.
Patients who believe a cannabis medicine may be helpful to their condition should consult their current treating doctor for advice.
A patient or their carer may receive, possess, and administer a cannabis medicine that has been legally imported/manufactured and prescribed for them.
For further information on access pathways, patients may contact the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research and Innovation​.

Clinical trials

The NSW Government has provided funding for clinical trials in three areas to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of cannabis medicines.
Further information about the NSW Government-funded clinical trials underway can be found on the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research and Innovation website​.

Cannabis medicines and driving​​

For information on prescribed cannabis medicines and fitness to drive see Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research and Innovation​​.​​​​
Current as at: Thursday 2 May 2024
Contact page owner: Pharmaceutical Services