Applications open 21 January 2019 and close 15 February 2019
NSW Health in partnership with the Rhodanthe Lipsett Indigenous Midwifery Trust and the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives is pleased to announce the NSW Health Rhodanthe Lipsett Midwifery Postgraduate scholarship, sharing the common goal to increase the number and support the retention of Aboriginal midwives in NSW.
Rhodanthe Lipsett OAM is an Australia midwife, author and a very passionate advocate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. In particular Rhodanthe is strongly committed to increasing the Aboriginal midwifery workforce, as Rhodanthe believes that all Aboriginal women should have access to an Aboriginal midwife.
In early 2009 the Australian College of Midwives (ACM) established the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Midwifery Scholarship Trust. Later that same year at the National Conference the then President, Professor Pat Brodie, presented Rhodanthe with a lifetime achievement award in recognition of her service to the midwifery profession and announced that the scholarship Trust would, from that day forward, be named in her honour. The Rhodanthe Lipsett Indigenous Midwifery Trust (Trust) was formally established as a separate entity in 2011 and subsequently registered with the Australian Tax Office as a Charitable Trust Fund. The Trust provides scholarships to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to undertake their midwifery studies nationally.
NSW Health in partnership with the Trust is pleased to offer one scholarship to an Aboriginal registered midwife employed in NSW Health. The scholarship is to the value of $15,000. In addition full registration to the 2019 Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives conference (CATSINaM) will be included.
This scholarship will support an Aboriginal midwife to undertake post graduate studies to further develop the skills most relevant to their midwifery area of practice.
Terms and conditions
Am I eligible to apply?
- Are you of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent?
- Do you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person?
- Are you known and accepted in the community in which you live or have lived?
- Are you a resident of NSW?
- Are you currently employed as a registered midwife within a NSW Health facility and working in a midwifery role?
- Will you be enrolled in an Australian postgraduate course in 2019 that is accredited under the NSW Higher Education Act (2001)?
- Are you willing to participate in an evaluation or telephone survey about the Aboriginal scholarships program?
If you answered 'yes' to the above questions you are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
You are required to send the following documents to the Nursing and Midwifery Office.
- A copy of your Confirmation of Aboriginality (for further information please refer to the frequently asked questions)
- Official confirmation of enrolment in an Australian postgraduate course in 2019. This document must include:
- Your name
- The name of the course
- The year of study
- A list of the subjects you have enrolled in for 2019
- If your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please provide a brief letter indicating your intention to enrol and forward your enrolment confirmation as soon as possible so that your application can be progressed. Generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
- Please include a current copy of your resume.
- A letter from your employer in the following format:
A completed Rhodanthe Application form. Please note that payments cannot be made into credit card accounts.
An essay of no more than 250 words describing how undertaking these studies will contribute to the aims and goals of the Rhodanthe Lipsett Trust.
- On your employer's official letterhead
- Dated and signed (within in the last three months)
- State your name
- State the title of your position
- State your employment status (full-time, part-time or casual)
- State how long you have been employed in this position..
Supply of documents
Applications can be submitted via email or Australia Post. If applying via mail, it is strongly recommended that you send your supporting documentation by Express Post so that it can be tracked.
Please mail your completed documents to:
NSW Aboriginal Nursing and Midwifery Strategy
Nursing and Midwifery Office
NSW Ministry of Health
Locked Mail Bag 961
NORTH SYDNEY NSW 2059
Or alternatively, please email your completed documents to: MOH-AboriginalNursing@health.nsw.gov.au
Please read the entire terms and conditions above and the frequently asked questions before completing the application form.