About the scholarship
Scholarships of up to $10,000 are available to Aboriginal people currently working as registered nurses or registered midwives in the NSW public health system. These scholarships are to assist with educational expenses directly associated with postgraduate study.
The NSW Nursing and Midwifery scholarship fund provides Aboriginal postgraduate scholarships under the targeted areas of:
- drug and alcohol
- mental health
- early childhood
- chronic care
- clinical studies
- education management.
Applications for 2019 scholarships have closed. Please check back in late 2019 for scholarship opportunities available in 2020.
Applicants must be:
- an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- known and accepted in the community in which you live or have lived
- a resident of NSW
- currently employed as a registered nurse/midwife within NSW Health
- enrolled in an Australian postgraduate course in 2019 that is accredited under the NSW Higher Education Act (2001)
- willing to participate in an evaluation or telephone survey about the Aboriginal scholarships program.
Preparing your application
As part of the application, applicants must complete an online application and provide:
- confirmation of Aboriginality (for further information please refer to the frequently asked questions)
- official confirmation of enrolment in an Australian postgraduate nursing or midwifery course. This document must include:
If your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please provide a brief letter indicating your intention to enroll and forward your enrolment confirmation as soon as possible so that your application can be progressed. Generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
- your name
- the name of the course
- the year of study
- a list of the subjects you have enrolled in
- a letter from your employer on their official letterhead, dated and signed within the last three months, with
Applicants undertaking postgraduate study leading to registration as a midwife must show proof of having concurrent employment in a recognised student midwifery position in a maternity service.
- your name
- title of your position
- employment status (full-time, part-time or casual)
- how long you have been employed in this position
- an essay of no more than 250 words describing how the qualification being studied will make a positive contribution to your current role and the Aboriginal community.
a copy of results, if you have previously received a postgraduate scholarship from the NSW Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship Fund.
For more information, please see the frequently asked questions. If you have any further queries, please email MOH-AboriginalNursing@health.nsw.gov.au or phone 1800 155 325.