In NSW, on time elective surgery performance remains strong and is the best in the country. The surgery team in the NSW Ministry of Health works in conjunction with the Local Health Districts and Specialty Health Networks to maintain and improve access to elective surgery by:
- supporting the efficient management of surgery waiting lists
- actioning enquiries through the Surgery Access Line - Call 1800 053 456
- ensuring the people of NSW have predictable and timely access to appropriate surgical services through both elective and emergency surgery streams.
Updated Resource Guide now available
The Elective Surgery Waitlist Management Resource Guide has been updated to include information to assist with transferring patients to a new Doctor or Hospital within a Local Health District or Network.
Tools and Templates are available for download below.
Elective Surgery Policy
NSW Health Policies and resources relating to elective surgery are:
Elective Surgery Waitlist Management Resource Guide
The Resource Guide provides practical advice on various aspects of the waitlist policy, examples of processes for decision making, escalation and communications around waitlist management in order to assist surgery and waitlist managers to administer the policy.
The Waiting Time and Elective Surgery Policy Self-Assessment tool highlights areas of the policy that are being met and areas where there is opportunity for improvement.
These templates are available for download for NSW public hospital teams to adapt and use.
Clinical Priority Category (CPC) Management
- List of clinical priority categories These are the NSW CPCs with corresponding Indicator Procedure Codes (IPCs).
- CPC information request letter A template letter to the treating doctor requesting clinical supporting documentation for a non-recommended CPC allocation.
- CPC acceptance letter A template letter to the treating doctor notifying them that the non-recommended CPC allocation has been accepted.
- CPC non-acceptance letter A template letter to the treating doctor notifying them that the non-recommended CPC has not been accepted.
- No response letter A template letter to the treating doctor notifying them that due to failure to provide clinical information, the reference list CPC has been allocated.
- CPC notification to a patient A template letter to the patient notifying them that the reference list CPC has been allocated.
Auditing and Reporting
- Cerner reports A list of the reports available in Cerner to meet the weekly and monthly policy requirements.
- iPM reports A list of the reports available in iPM to meet the weekly and monthly policy requirements.
- Weekly clerical audit report A template report to be submitted to the relevant manager and tabled at the local governance committee.
- Monthly report to Executive A template report to be submitted to the relevant Executive or Manager and tabled at the local governance committee.
- Clerical audit evaluation An audit form template to be used for quarterly evaluation of the elective surgery waitlist audit process.
Other useful tools
- Doctor resignation letter A template letter to the patient notifying them of the resignation of their treating doctor and giving them alternative options.
NSW Health Surgery Newsletter
The Surgery Newsletter includes features on local strategies that Local Health Districts and Specialty Health Networks are currently implementing to improve on-time elective surgery performance.