The Nursing and Midwifery Office want to support, empower and develop our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nursing and midwifery workforce. Postgraduate study is a chance to expand your knowledge into target areas that are particularly relevant to the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Postgraduate scholarships create leadership opportunities and increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives practising and participating at higher levels in the profession.
If you’re an Aboriginal person currently working as a registered nurse or registered midwife in the NSW public health system, a postgraduate scholarship of up to $10,000 is available to support your postgraduate study and help with educational expenses.
Our postgraduate scholarships are offered in the targeted areas of:
- drug and alcohol
- mental health
- early childhood
- chronic care
- clinical studies
To apply, you must be:
- of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- known and accepted in the community that you live or have lived
- a resident of NSW
- currently employed as a registered nurse or midwife in a NSW health facility
- enrolled in an Australian postgraduate course in 2022 that is accredited under the NSW Higher Education Act (2001)
- willing to participate in an evaluation or telephone survey about the Aboriginal scholarships program
Preparing your application
The application process opens each year in January. As part of the application process, applicants must complete an online application form and provide:
- confirmation of Aboriginality (for a guide on what you need to confirm your Aboriginality visit Stepping Up - Aboriginality)
- official confirmation of enrolment in an Australian postgraduate nursing or midwifery course that is accredited under the NSW Higher Education Act (2001). This document must include
- your name
- the name of the course
- the year of study
- a list of the subjects you have enrolled in
If your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please provide a brief letter indicating your intention to enrol and forward your enrolment confirmation as soon as possible so that your application can be progressed. Generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
- a letter from your employer on their official letterhead, dated and signed within the last three months, with:
- your name
- title of your position
- employment status (full-time, part-time or casual)
- how long you've been employed in this position
If you're doing postgraduate study which will lead to registration as a midwife, you must show proof of your employment at the same time in a recognised student midwifery position in a maternity service.
- an essay of no more than 250 words describing how your studies will make a positive contribution to your current role and the Aboriginal community
If you received a postgraduate scholarship in the past from the NSW Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship Fund, you also have to provide a copy of results.
For more information, please see the frequently asked questions. If you have any further queries, please email MOH-AboriginalNursing@health.nsw.gov.au or call us on 1800 155 325.