How do I prove my Aboriginality?

In accordance to the Aboriginal Lands Rights Act 1983, an 'Aboriginal person' means a person who:

  1. is a member of the Aboriginal race of Australia, and
  2. identifies as an Aboriginal person
  3. is accepted by the Aboriginal community in which he/or she lives or has lived as an Aboriginal person.

In order to provide evidence of Aboriginality, applicants must provide a Confirmation of Aboriginality from:

  • an organisation incorporated under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
  • an incorporated Aboriginal community organisation where all the members of the organisation are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
  • a local Aboriginal Lands Council.

How will my application be assessed?

Scholarships are awarded by a selection panel. Decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. The number of scholarships allocated is subject to total funds available within the 2022 Aboriginal scholarships budget. Applications will be subject to cull, based on scholarship criteria and the provision of the required supporting documents.

When will I know if my application is successful?

Applicants will be notified by letter of the outcome of their application within six weeks, however unexpected delays sometimes occur.

If successful, how much money will I receive?

Undergraduate scholarships

$1,000 per subject being studied in 2022. Funding will be adjusted if money is received for your course from another source.

Postgraduate scholarships

Up to $10,000 dependent on the level of the degree undertaken in 2022:

Level of degree​  Amount​
Graduate certificate​ ​$6,000
Graduate diploma​ ​$8,000
Masters​ ​$10,000

When will I receive my scholarship payment?

The scholarship payment process begins once you have provided all required documentation to the Nursing and Midwifery Office. It may take up to six weeks to process payments into nominated bank accounts and unexpected delays sometimes occur. Payments cannot be made into credit card accounts.

What can I use my scholarship funding for?

Scholarship funding is provided to assist students with educational expenses directly associated with their nursing or midwifery studies. The Nursing and Midwifery Office does not require receipts, however these should be retained by the applicant for taxation purposes.

What if I defer, withdraw or change my subjects in 2022?

Successful applicants who defer or withdraw from their course or change the number of subjects being studied during 2022 must notify the Nursing and Midwifery Office in writing within seven days. Full or partial repayment of scholarship funding may be required after review of individual circumstances.

What if I fail a subject?

Scholarship funds are available to cover all subjects in your course once only. No funds are available if you fail a subject and need to repeat.

What if I am receiving another scholarship?

People who receive funding from another source for the same course of study may have their scholarship amount reduced or withdrawn. Please ensure you provide information about other scholarships or funding that you are receiving.


A refund of scholarship funding will be requested should an overpayment be identified, or if you do not continue with your course (subject to individual review).

Can I apply for a scholarship each year of my study?

Undergraduate scholarships

Applications for Aboriginal undergraduate scholarships can be made each year of study, up to a maximum of six years for part-time and distance education students.

Postgraduate scholarships

Applications for postgraduate scholarships are only awarded one scholarship per degree.

Enrolled nurse scholarships

Applications for enrolled nurse scholarships are only awarded one scholarship per course.

Student midwives – what if I am commencing study mid-year 2022?

You will still need to get your application in by the scholarship closing date for postgraduate scholarships; however, you will not receive your scholarship until you have commenced your university degree.

Income tax advice

Full-time students

Scholarships are considered to be tax exempt income for students who are studying full time at university.

Part-time students

Generally, scholarship funding provided to part-time students, regardless of their employment status, is not considered to be tax exempt income. However, as long as the scholarship funding is used for non-​tax deductible expenses it may be classified as exempt income.

Please seek independent taxation advice regarding your personal circumstances where required.

Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) advice

FBT issues arise with employees in the public health system who receive funding from the NSW Ministry of Health. 

  • If the course being studied directly relates to current employment duties, the taxable value of the benefit will be reduced to nil. If there is a nil taxable value there is a nil FBT liability.
  • If the course being studied does not directly relate to current employment duties, the full scholarship payment will attract FBT.

Please seek independent taxation advice regarding your personal circumstances where required.

Further infor​mation

Telephone: 1800 155 325

Current as at: Tuesday 25 January 2022
Contact page owner: Nursing and Midwifery