Information for residents of NSW who use Patient Transport Service (PTS) when travelling to or from a medical appointment or facility and are holders of a DVA card.

Last updated: 03 March 2020

What is PTS?

PTS is the transport to or from a health facility, and includes discharges from hospital to home; transport between hospitals or diagnostic facilities; and transport to or from nursing homes. PTS must be requested by a medical practitioner. The patient must be assessed as ‘between the flags’ – unlikely to deteriorate throughout transport.

Unfortunately, we cannot cover the following:

  • PTS services provided in South Australia or Queensland if they are a NSW resident
  • repatriation to home state for non-clinical reasons or
  • NSW pensioners being transported to another state for non-clinical reasons.

Who is charged for using PTS?

If you are a DVA card holder, and DVA deem the transport as eligible, no amount is payable as DVA will cover these costs.

Patients transferred between their home and health facilities and the transport is not deemed eligible by DVA and are not a pensioner concession card holder will be charged. For eligible DVA card holders, NSW Health has contractual arrangements with DVA and billing is processed with DVA directly.

Why do I need to provide patients DVA details?

With the accurate information regarding the patients DVA Number provided at the time of booking, PTS can invoice DVA directly for the patient's transport. Without this, the patient will be sent a bill and should this not be payable due to concession or other reasons such as hardship the cost of transport will be transferred to the LHD.

What type of transports does DVA pay for?

The contractual arrangements for eligible DVA patients provide for transports to or from home to a health facility. Inter facility transfers are not covered by DVA and are covered under the user charges arrangements with LHDs.

If DVA doesn’t pay for the transfer, what is the charged to the patient?

Refer to patient fees and charges fact sheet for this information.

What do I do if I receive an account?

Payment of the account within terms outlined is required. Non-payment may result in legal action. If you are a DVA patient and require further information, please contact PTS Billing Team on or (02) 8848 5157.

What do I do if I receive an account and am a concession card holder and not DVA?

If you are a concession card holder and you receive an account requesting payment, it means your concession card details were not recorded when the PTS service was booked.

What to do

  • Pensioner concession card holder: If you are an eligible pensioner you must provide your pension number in writing by returning the “tear off” section on the back of the account to PTS Billing, Service Centre Westmead, PO Box 292, Westmead, NSW, 2145 or Or, you may call the PTS Billing Team on (02) 8848 5157.
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Concession Card Holder: DVA reviews all proposed charges before an invoice is raised against them. It is possible they may decline particular charges depending on the nature of the transport and the level of cover provided to the individual. If you wish to confirm whether your DVA number has been recorded, or if DVA has declined the charge, contact the PTS Billing Team on (02) 8848 5157.
  • Private insurance holder: If you are a NSW resident and have private health fund-hospital cover insurance, please complete Section 2 of your invoice and send it to your health fund. You are not required to pay this account.

How can payments be made?

PTS Billing is a centralised service for receiving payments of invoices for all Health agencies. Payment can be made by phone, mail or BPay.

  • Phone: Call PTS Billing (02) 8848 5157 and provide credit card details over the phone
  • Mail: Credit card details can be completed on the “tear off” portion of the invoice and returned
  • Cheques: Mailed to PTS Billing, Service Centre Westmead, PO Box 292, Westmead, NSW, 2145
  • BPay: The Biller Code and your personal account number are provided on the invoice.

How can I ensure my private health fund covers PTS costs?

If you have a private health insurance, you need to contact your private health fund to confirm whether PTS costs are covered.

As costs and inclusions differ from fund to fund, it is recommended that you contact several funds to decide which cover is best for your personal circumstances. Useful information on private health funds is available on the Department of Health website.

What do I do if I have questions about my account?

Please contact the PTS Billing Team on​ or (02) 8848 5157.

Current as at: Tuesday 3 March 2020
Contact page owner: HealthShare NSW