NSW Health continued to work with water utilities to support and fund capital works for the fluoridation of drinking water across the state. Highlights included:
- helping regional water utilities to improve the reliability and safety of their fluoridation equipment
- fluoridation recommenced at Walcha following a complete upgrade of fluoridation equipment
- work continued on the upgrade and replacement of fluoridation equipment at Clarence Valley, Parkes, Bogan Shire, Snowy Monaro Shire and Muswellbrook
- participation in the review of publications produced from the National Health and Medical Research Council’s evaluation of the health effects of fluoridation. This important review is the most up to date analysis of the latest scientific research on water fluoridation, and gives ongoing support for water fluoridation program as safe, effective and ethical.
- approval for fluoridation to be introduced into the Fish River Water Supply System serving towns and villages in the Lithgow local government area
- working with Gunnedah Shire and Bega Valley Shire Councils on introducing fluoridation into public water supplies. Both Councils subsequently resolved to proceed with fluoridation.